For 90 years, Sugatsune Kogyo Co., has manufactured and supplied high grade architectural and industrial hardware worldwide. In 2016, the company expanded its operations to Canada through Sugatsune Canada, Inc. One of the best reasons to work with this company is its unique Motion Design Tech, a product concept used to create hardware solutions with specialized movement for the opening and closing of flaps and doors.
Although opening and closing are common motions, they can easily become a source of stress and can create a vulnerable environment that is susceptible to mistakes. In some cases, an injury may occur through slammed closures, the manipulation of heavy doors, and the opening and closing of doors in a narrow space. Sugatsune’s Motion Design Tech offers five unique motions that make the opening and closing of flaps and doors easy, safe, and convenient.
The Five Motions of Motion Design Tech
- Soft Motion: This motion adjusts and smooths the opening and closing speeds of flaps, lids, and drawers. An example of this function is shown through Sugatsune’s LADH; a series of lift assist dampers for countertop applications.
- Free-Stop Motion: This motion holds a lid, flap, or cover in a free-standing position. An example of this function can be found in Sugatsune’s HG-TS; a series of stainless-steel torque hinges.
- Power-Assist Motion: This motion is designed to help users open heavy doors and lids with ease. An example of this can be found in the HG-PA series; a series of power assist hinges that are ideally used in medical and machine equipment.
- Click Motion: This function is a snap-and-stop mechanism that holds a flap, lid, or cover at a predetermined angle. This feature can be found in HG-RCT12-C; a rachet hinge with friction that holds angles in 5 degree increments
- Unique Motion: This motion enables doors to open in various directions. An example, of this movement can be found in Sugatsune’s 2017 Red Dot Award Winner the LINX-1000. This item is a part of the LIN-X series, a range of unique lateral opening systems for cabinets and full-size doors.
Sugatsune often creates product designs that feature a combination of these various motions, an example of this is Sugatsune’s new lift assist lid stay The Aileron. This system offers a unique combination of power-assist, free-stop and soft-motion functions and is used for top-opening and upward-opening cabinet applications
To learn more about Sugatsune’s Motion Design Tech check out their digital catalog which features a visual guide demonstrating how its products and concepts can be used in different applications and industries.